Student Help Lines and Supports


Black Youth Helpline 

The Black Youth Helpline (National Helpline for Canadian Youth) is please to provide this update to your school district regarding the continued expansion of Stay-in-School supports to youth, parents and schools across Canadian Provinces.

Founded in Winnipeg, Manitoba, expanded into Ontario and then into four (4) provinces in 2017, the work of our organization is now national from coast to coast across Canada effective June 2020. Our goal however remains helping vulnerable youth remain and succeed in schools as a key strategy towards effective citizenship.

Youth Parent & School Districts are encouraged to reach out to our National Helpline for culturally appropriate support: 

Time: 9:00am - 10:00pm EST, 7 days a week

Contact Number: 416-285-9944

Toll Free: 1-833-294-8650



Information Flyer

Crisis Help and Support Lines

If you are experiencing a personal or situational crisis, you can call:

  • 911 or visit the nearest emergency department
  • Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868 for emotional support on a variety of issues. They offer text and online chat services as well.
  • ConnexOntario at 1-866-531-2600 for addiction, mental health and gambling treatment services.
  • Distress Centre Durham at 905-430-2522 for 24-hour help. They run a series of specialized phone lines for suicide survivors, LGBTQ+ and community support.
  • Durham Region Mobile Crisis Service at 1-800-742-1890 or 905-666-0483 for free confidential support during a crisis.
  • Good2Talk at 1-866-925-5454 for free and confidential professional counselling and referrals for mental health, addiction and well-being.
  • ONTX Ontario Online and Text Crisis Services by texting 258258.
  • Youthline at 1-800-268-9688 for confidential LGBTQ+ peer support. They offer telephone, text and chat services. 

Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)

CAMH provides resources, individual and group addiction treatments, assessments, family support and psychiatric consultations. You can contact CAMH directly to receive service. They also accept referrals from community members, such as physicians, community agencies or schools.

Crisis Intervention Team 

The Crisis Intervention Team at Oshawa Hospital offers addiction, mental health and gambling treatment services. You will be assessed by the team and then referred to a health care professional.

Durham Children's Aid Society

You can report abuse to Durham Children's Aid Society. They support children experiencing emotional, physical or sexual abuse or neglect. 

Durham Rape Crisis Centre (DRCC)

The DRCC provides resources for those who have experienced rape. This includes a crisis support line and instructions on evidence collecting, reporting and seeking medical assistance.

Niijkiwendidaa Anishnaabekwewag Services Circle (NASC)

The NASC offers counseling and healing services to indigenous women and their families. This is for women experiencing abuse or who have been abused in the past. They use traditional Anishnaabe spirituality combined with other methods of healing.

Peer support at school

DDSB offers peer support programs for students experiencing loss through death, divorce or any painful family transition.

Many schools in the DDSB have a Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) to help support students that are experiencing homophobic bullying. Talk with your school administration to find out if there is a GSA at your school.